These guidance documents only apply to programs and facilities during the summer of 2021. We anticipate guidance for the 2021-2022 school year beginning in September will be issued soon.
Media outlets have reported that wearing masks indoors in summer schools is no longer required. The INTERIM GUIDANCE FOR CHILD CARE, DAY CAMP, AND OVERNIGHT CAMP PROGRAMS DURING THE COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY document gives local districts the choice to modify masking requirements under certain conditions.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES has been adhering to the NYS INTERIM GUIDANCE FOR IN-PERSON INSTRUCTION AT PRE-K TO GRADE 12 SCHOOLS DURING THE COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY document, updated June 7, 2021. We will continue to operate our summer school programs including Extended School Year, Regional Summer School, and Career and Technical Education Career Exploration programs, in accordance with this document.
Mask protocols for summer school have not changed:
• All students and staff are required to wear masks indoors in any BOCES 2 facility including sites where BOCES 2 programs are housed, regardless of the student or staff members vaccination status
• Students are required to wear masks at all times while on the bus to and from school
• Masks are not required to be worn outdoors
• Students will be given mask breaks in classrooms at the teacher’s discretion where physical distancing can be maintained (i.e. warm temperatures)
• Students may remove masks when eating or drinking, provided physical distancing can be maintained
• BOCES 2 will continue to provide a mask to any student or staff member who needs one.
In conclusion, the health and safety of students and staff continues to be our number one priority throughout the summer. Although transmission rates remain low, we recognize that not all students and staff are vaccinated and therefore, continue to be vigilant. We will monitor the NYDOH guidance and should it change, we will adjust accordingly.